Public Speaker Series
The Public Speaker Series is jointly coordinated by the Whatcom MRC and the Whatcom Watershed Information Network (WWIN). The speaker series draws a diverse crowd and provides an opportunity for MRC members to connect with the community about marine resource issues or topics.
Developing educational events and materials, coordinating volunteer projects, and partnering with other groups to facilitate collaborative workshops and projects are commitments of the Whatcom MRC. The Whatcom MRC and the Whatcom Watershed Information Network hosts and participates in a variety of community events including public speaker events, summits, and open houses. These activities are designed to involve the community and create a greater awareness of marine resources and the issues that surround them.
2016 Speaker Series Events
- The Salish Sea Institute - Bert Webber
- Restoration of Olympia Oysters in Fidalgo Bay - Dr. Paul Dinnel, Shannon Point Marine Center, Western Washington University
- Ocean acidification alter swimming, but not morphology, in Olympia Oyster Larvae - Shannon Buckham, Western Washington University
- Bellingham Restoration Priorities - Analiese Burns, City of Bellingham
- Hypoxia, snarks and phytoplankton: A story of oxygen dynamics in Bellingham Bay - Dr. Jude Apple, Padilla Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve
- The Restless Lake: Surprising Water Dynamics of Lake Whatcom - Burt Rubash and Elizabeth Kilanowski