Public Speaker Series
The Public Speaker Series is jointly coordinated by the Whatcom MRC and the Whatcom Watershed Information Network (WWIN). The speaker series draws a diverse crowd and provides an opportunity for MRC members to connect with the community about marine resource issues or topics.
Developing educational events and materials, coordinating volunteer projects, and partnering with other groups to facilitate collaborative workshops and projects are commitments of the Whatcom MRC. The Whatcom MRC and the Whatcom Watershed Information Network hosts and participates in a variety of community events including public speaker events, summits, and open houses. These activities are designed to involve the community and create a greater awareness of marine resources and the issues that surround them.
2018 Speaker Series Events
- Continued Impacts of Sea Star Wasting Disease - Melissa Miner, Researcher, UC Santa Cruz. Find a summary of all the various ways to view and/or access data for sea stars and other species monitored at sites HERE.
- Tipping the balance: Impact of eelgrass wasting disease in the Salish Sea - Morgan Eisenlord, PhD student at Cornell University, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
- The Salish Sea Institute: Strengthening Our Sense of Place and Connection to the Salish Sea – Ginny Broadhurst, Director of the Salish Sea Institute at WWU. View PowerPoint HERE.
2017 Speaker Series Events
- An Assessment of Juvenile Chinook Salmon Populations Structure and Dynamic in the Nooksack Estuary and Bellingham Bay Shoreline, 2003-2015 - Eric Beamer, Skagit River Coroperative
- Lummi Island Quarry/Aiston Preserve Update - Rebecca Rettmer, Lummi Island Heritage Trust
- Invasive Green Crabs in Washington Salish Sea, What do we Know and What's Next - Emily Grason, Washington Sea Grant
- Bellingham Waterfront Update - Brian Gouran, Port of Bellingham Environmental Director
- Using Transplanted Mussels to Assess Contaminants - Jennifer Lanksbury, WDFW
- Baker to Bay Symposium - various speakers (see Evaluation here)
- Water Supply Symposium - various speakers (see Evaluation here)
2016 Speaker Series Events
- The Salish Sea Institute - Bert Webber
- Restoration of Olympia Oysters in Fidalgo Bay - Dr. Paul Dinnel, Shannon Point Marine Center, Western Washington University
- Ocean acidification alter swimming, but not morphology, in Olympia Oyster Larvae - Shannon Buckham, Western Washington University
- Bellingham Restoration Priorities - Analiese Burns, City of Bellingham
- Hypoxia, snarks and phytoplankton: A story of oxygen dynamics in Bellingham Bay - Dr. Jude Apple, Padilla Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve
- The Restless Lake: Surprising Water Dynamics of Lake Whatcom - Burt Rubash and Elizabeth Kilanowski